As a former small claims pro-tem Judge for the Santa Barbara County, Mr. Long has the perspective to approach family law matters in a fair and just manner. Mr. Long understands the benefits of listening to both sides of the case.
As a Settlement Master, Mr. Long acts as a neutral, third-party mediator, helping divorcing or separating couples reach solution to family law disputes. Mr. Long also acts as a Fee Arbitrator in billing disputes between other attorneys and their clients.
As a sole practitioner, Mr. Long is able to take a hands-on approach to every case, giving his clients the attentive personal service they deserve. Mr. Long will handle client’s sensitive legal matters with the utmost care and attention to detail.
- 28 years Family and Civil Law experience.
- Small Claims Judge Pro Tempore for 11 years. Settlement Master for Family Law, Civil, and Unlawful Detainer for 15 years.
- Extensive Mediation and Collaborative Practice training and experience.
- Graduated Order of the Coif from Pacific McGeorge School of Law.
- Pro Bono Attorney of the Year, 2016, Santa Barbara Superior Court
- Extensive Family Law trial experience in all aspects of custody, support, contempt, and domestic violence matters.
- Skilled in using the DissoMaster guideline child and spousal software.
- 11 years of experience as Minor’s Counsel.
- Ability to accurately analyze income of self-employed individuals aided by: Training and experience in principles of finance and asset valuation;
- Counsel for Respondent: In re Marriage of Williams (2001) 88 Cal.App.4th. 808.
- Member of Santa Barbara Superior Court Family Law Rules Committee from 2010.
- President of the Santa Barbara Collaborative Law Group since 2007, recruited Board of Directors, organized and conducted training events.
- Member of the Board of Directors for Santa Barbara Family Education, Inc. (i.e., Children in the Middle).
Relevant Professional Training
- CFLR Advanced Family Law Training 2011
- Minor’s Counsel Training – Santa Barbara County Bar Association 2008
- Various Advanced Collaborative Practice Training – I.A.C.P. 2006-2008
- Basic Collaborative Law Training – Chip Rose, J. D. 2003
- Small Claims Mediation Internship – The Community Mediation Program 2000
- Basic and Intermediate Mediation Training – Judith Rubenstein, J. D. 2000
Juris Doctor with Distinction 1987-1990
- Pacific McGeorge School of Law
- Order of the Coif. Class Rank: top 10%.
- American Jurisprudence Award in Contracts.
- Traynor Honor Society.
- Attorney and Supervisor for Community Family Law Clinic.
Bachelor of Science in Business Administration 1983-1987
- California State University, Long Beach.
- Graduated with Honors.
- Emphasis in Finance and Businees Administration.